Monday, September 6, 2010

When is it too much?

When do we cross the line of relying on technology too much? Our daily lives revolve around the latest gadgets and gizmos. When are our lives going to be controlled entirely by these gadgets and gizmos? In the article titled Are We too Dependant on Technology, Dale Reynolds highlights some key points towards where our society is headed in the future. "I love the technology because it improves accuracy and saves time. But I do feel it reduces the human element." I agree with this entirely. Technology is headed in the direction of completely eliminating face-to-face human interaction all together. Calling someone in Japan is much harder (and more expensive) than sending them an email. The ease and convenience of technology draws users in. If I’m not going to be able to make it to class today it's a lot easier to email my teacher and tell them than to call her or speak to her in person. "One man even told me this week that he feels all of the kids these days (and some adults!) talk only in text messages. He said they are always referring to "talking" to their friends when actually they only exchanged text messages."
I guess my fear for the future of technology is that it's going to completely take over human socialization and interaction. An increasing number of people are beginning to work from home. Soon enough I feel everyone will be working from home. No face-to-face interaction will be necessary, which has the potential of opening the door to a whole new list of problems to develop socially and economically.


Reynolds, Dale. "Are We Too Dependant on Technology." EzineArticles. 2010. Web. 6 Sept. 2010. .

3 comments:

  1. I agree with your comment about human socialization and interaction. Even now people are becoming less connected by staying so connected. People tweet and blog but people don't use their actual voice. People have barely any phone, speaking or writing skills anymore. Everything seems to be in text and the human touch is becoming obsolete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree I think this is a huge problem in society today. You bring up some great points and I've definitely heard numerous times older people saying that the younger generation is too dependent on technology but its so true.

    ReplyDelete