Tuesday, September 28, 2010

The Human Ovary


During one of our last classes we were talking about cloning.  Some how after discussing this topic we got to discussing the human ovary.  While skimming the Internet I came across an article that shows how a lab grown ovary has successfully matured human eggs.  This science will be used to help women conceive in the future.   This is new technology because according to the website this article is from "An ovary is composed of three main cell types, and this is the first time that anyone has created a 3-D tissue structure with triple cell line."  What this technology will try and do is to preserve the fertility in women.  What this means is that if a woman has cancer and has to have chemotherapy or radiation immature eggs can be saved and frozen before these treatments and then matured in this new artificial ovary.  I feel like this article can be intended for women ages’ 15- whenever a woman can still conceive.  This article can help women who have cancer at a young age who overcome it to still be able to have children.  This technology is like something out of a science fiction novel.  To think that an immature egg can be matured in a lab is amazing.  This new technology can open so many doors for so many women. I hope that one day this science can become more common and that women can be informed about this new technology so that these women can live a same full life as everyone else.

Sources-http://www.livescience.com/health/first-artifical-human-ovary-matures-eggs-100927.html

http://www.scienceagogo.com/news/20100815015749data_trunc_sys.shtml

 

 

11 comments:

  1. Yes i think it will be a help for women especially ones who want to have children in future but I think i would want to know more about it. Are there risks that come with it?? I would want to know if the procedure has been done before and how successful it was. I think there was a lot of good information in this blog and it shows a great example of how technology and science have come together to create something positive. I'm definitely interested to find out more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is so neat. It's great that we are working out technology like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can think of is when are we going to be able to start growing kids in test tubes?
    Having to go through with cancer is hard enough, it's good to know there is at least one less that these women have to worry about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If we can make artifical ovaries that can produce eggs, what would happen if we took it to the next step of fertilizing the eggs and replicating the womb? We would be able to continually produce babies possibly to the point of creating an army! Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I enjoyed reading about this new form of technology mostly because it hits home for me. My best friend who happens to be just over 21 has been diagnosed with thyroid cancer and has to have radiation therapy. This causes issues if she wants to reproduce in the future, knowing that she has options such as this is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is truly amazing technology. It makes me wonder about different reproductive health issues and whether this technology could help individuals with those problems too.

    Like Jessica, I have a friend with thyroid cancer, which is one of the most common (and luckily, treatable) cancers in young people and technology like this would probably be of comfort to my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a break through with incredible technology this will have a great impact on less fortunate people.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is an amazing advance in science. I knew a woman who had cancer at a young age and it has constantly been in her mind that she can never conceive her own children has always been on her mind. A few years ago she adopted a baby girl. This new method of maturing the cells will be an amazing thing for many women.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is going to be so incredible to see how much of a medical advancement this becomes in the next 50 years!

    ReplyDelete
  10. As wonderful of a breakthrough this is, I assume that the cost would be large enough where many women who would want to use it wouldn't be able to because of financial limitations. Also, the damage that cancer can cause may be enough where not only the ovaries are hurt and therefore the technology would not be a viable option because even if the eggs could be replace, the woman may still not be fertile.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Most prostate cancers are adenocarcinomas, cancers that arise in glandular cells of the prostate’s epithelial tissue. Prostate cancers usually progress slowly and produce no symptoms in the initial stages. Eventually, the tumor may enlarge like mine use too, the prostate gland, pressing on the urethra and causing painful or frequent urination and blood in the urine. So I was so uncomfortable with this prostate cancer diseases then I decided to do online search on how to cure cancer because I well have read a lot about herbal medicine,I came across a lot of testimony how Dr Itua cure HIV/herpes then Cancer was listed below the comment.with courage I contacted Dr Itua and he sent me his herbal medicine through Courier service then I was asked to pick it up at my post office which i quickly did. I contacted Dr Itua that i have received my herbal medicine so he instructs me on how to drink it for three weeks and that is how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine cure my prostate Cancer, The treatment takes three weeks and I was cured completely. Dr Itua is a god sent and I thank him every day of my life. Contact him now On:Email:drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ info@drituahebalcenter.com. Whatsapp:+2348149277967.
    He listed to that he can as well cure the following diseases below.... Cerebral Amides. Lung Cancer, Alzheimer's disease, Adrenocortical carcinoma. Alma, Uterine Cancer, Breast Cancer, Allergic diseases. Kidney cancer, Love Spell, Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
    Dementia.Colo rectal cancer, Lottery Spell, Bladder Cancer, Skin Cancer,Ovarian Cancer,Pancreatic Cancer, HIV /Aids, Herpes, Non-Hodgkin lymphoma, Inflammatory bowel disease, Copd, Diabetes, Hepatitis

    ReplyDelete